Content interaction data
Smart content is trackable, unlike PDFs or pre-internet file formats that yield no analytics. Tracking is what allows companies to identify the micro-moments that spur customers’ decision making, make their experience frictionless, and adjust content accordingly.1 Smart content is also easily updatable, even by non-experts, whereas XML technology can take months to be updated by programmers at high cost.
Tracking user event data and putting those analytics to work will provide the business intelligence to understand and anticipate the needs of customers, therefore “being there” in their intent-rich micro-moments.2 Doing so is what will advance the quality of the customer experience. In fact, customer analytics has become the principal technology investment for customer experience improvement, dominating the list in a Gartner survey for the last two years.3
The power of a positive customer experience
The way to understand the micro-moments in customers’ lives is to understand the content that matters to them in different stages of the customer journey.4 Micro-moments are driven by customers’ intent, and smart content’s tracking capability allows companies to learn intent by analyzing what customers are searching for, what content they are engaging out of the search results, and whether that content was useful, among other data.
At the early stage in the consumer decision journey, a brand’s role is to provide inspiration and ideas with content.
– Think with Google
Google names the following “moments that matter”:
- I need to find
- I need some ideas
- Which one is best
- I want to buy it
- I can fix this
- I want to do
- I want to know5
Moments such as these make up the customer journey’s research, buy, and succeed stages. Answering those “What’s out there,” “How does it work,” “Will it accomplish what I need,” and “I need help with it” queries along that journey is done through a company’s content that they are already producing, which if made smart, reaches customers better and faster to create a superior customer experience. This is how companies win in the modern marketplace.
In a survey published in February of 2016, 51% of B2B consumers are relying more on content now to research their buying decisions.6 When customers know they can depend on a brand to help them self-serve with useful content, after having found the exact content quickly that they searched for, they move on with a positive impression of that brand. It is smart content that powers customer engagement and retention.
Now more than ever, content is your customer experience.
- Jim Yu, How to Create and Measure Effective Mobile Content for Micro-Moments, Think with Google, May 2016.
- How Mobile Has Redefined the Consumer Decision Journey for Shoppers, Google, 2016.
- Nick Ingelbrecht, Olive Huang, and Julie A. Meyer, The State of Customer Experience Innovation, 2016: Customer Analytics Gets Critical, Gartner, May 5, 2016.
- Adams, Burkholder, and Hamilton, Micro-Moments, Google, September 2015.
- Adams, Burkholder, and Hamilton, Micro-Moments, Google, September 2015; and Winning the Moments That Matter: Right Message, Right Person, Right Time, Every Time, Think with Google, September 2015.
- 2016 Content Preferences Survey Report, DemandGen, February 2016.