Over time, content indexed by Google may become out of date and it may be necessary to request removal of MindTouch content from Google. For example, if an administrator deletes a page in MindTouch then it may need to be manually removed from Google's search results.
Stop Google from indexing a page
Part 1 - Sign up for Google Search Console
Site administrators can verify ownership of their site with Google, and then request URLs be removed or a site be fully reindexed for Google search purposes. Go to Google Search Console (formerly known as Google Webmaster Tools) to register.
Part 2 - Verify your site
- Webmaster Tools provides several options and we recommend choosing the Alternate methods > HTML tag option.
- Copy the HTML meta tag provided by Google.
- Add the meta tag to the <head> section of your MindTouch site:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Branding > Custom HTML.
- Add the HTML meta tag provided by Google in Page HTML Head.
- Click Save.
- Return to Google Search Console to complete verification of your site.
Part 3 - Request pages to be removed
After your site has been verified by Google, follow Google's instructions to remove URLs from their search results.