The very first step in building out your site is to create your top-level navigation—a category.
How to create a new category
Add a new category
- Navigate to the page under which you want to create a new category (may be your home page).
- On your MindTouch toolbar, click New.
The Add new page dialog presents only the page templates appropriate to the current position in the hierarchy.
- Select the Category template (The category template is only available under a category page).
- Depending on whether you want to create the page live or as a draft, select either the Create live or Create draft radio button. (You will be able to publish the draft to your live site later.)
- Click Create.
Add content to your category
- Title your category.
- Replace text with your content.
Both the DekiScript code at the top of the page, and any references to article type tags (such as the line "Tags recommended by the template: article:topic-category") determine how the page behaves. If you see these lines on newly created pages, do not remove them.
Configure the page settings of your category
- Expand Page Settings.
- Hover over the Add page summary field to display the page summary icon .
- Click the icon and enter a page summary.
The page summary is not only the first paragraph that is displayed on your page, it also is the description that is displayed in MindTouch and Google search results, so make sure to include valuable keywords.
- Click Add page thumbnail to add the display icon for your category.
- Choose whether to display your category as Simple or Detailed (decide which option is better for you).
- Make sure that Article type is set to Category.
- If you have not yet set up any custom classifications, set a Stage value to help you later identify articles in certain stages of your workflow.
- Apply appropriate Tags to your article. (You must hit Enter after entering each tag.)
Tags determine which articles MindTouch recommends at the bottom of your page, so keep tags consistent. The more tags related articles have in common, the more likely they will be recommended together.
Publish your category page (if a draft)
If you created your page in draft mode and are ready to publish your category to your live site, click Publish.
You created a page and realize you want to make some changes to your content. Click here to get tips on editing your page.