How to reuse content
Step 1: (Optional) Create content to reuse
- If you already have content you want to reuse, navigate to the page where you would like to reuse the content and skip to Step 2.
- If you need to create content for the first time create a new page and add the content you want to reuse.
If you want to reuse a specific section of your page, those sections must contain headings.
Step 2: Select your page source
- Navigate to the page on which you want to reuse content.
- Open the page in Edit mode.
- In the editor toolbar, click the Content reuse icon .
- Use the Browse or Search tab, or enter the URL (minus the domain) into the Article to reuse text box to select your source page.
- Specify how much content you want to reuse:
- To reuse the entire page, leave the Reuse section unselected.
- To reuse only a section of a page, select the appropriate section from the Reuse section drop-down list.
If reusing a section, the entire section will be reused, including any subsections.
- Click Insert.
- The page now displays a
wiki.pagecall containing the source page path (and section, if applicable).
Step 3: Avoid duplicate content (only if reusing entire pages)
Only add a
canonical link element and
noindex meta tag when reusing entire pages! The canonical link element tells search engines to look at the source page as the preferred page but still allows the page to be indexed and displayed on search engine results pages (SERPs). The noindex meta tag prevents the page from being indexed and displayed in online search results.
- Click Shift+Enter to exit the DekiScript block in the previous step.
- Add a NEW (!) DekiScript block to your page.
- Copy the following code and paste it into the new DekiScript block. ():
<html> <head> <link rel="canonical" href="url_of_prefered_page"/> </head> </html>
- (Optional) In the first DekiScript block added, surround the
wiki.pagecall with a
<div>and add a
Only add the following, if you do NOT want your duplicate page from being indexed and displayed on search engine results pages!
Step 4: Save your page
- Click Save to save your changes.
- Close out the following warning (it merely indicates that you have added a canonical URL, which is not recommended unless you are reusing content):
Step 5: Verify content reuse
Verify the contents of your source page are now displayed on our reuse page.
As you update the content of your source page, your reuse page will automatically update when reloaded.
Reusing content more than twice
It is possible to reuse a page that already contains a
wiki.page call. In that scenario, whenever you load the new page, you are essentially making two (2)
wiki.page calls. Depending on the amount of content you're reusing and the amount of calls you're ultimately calling on page load, keep in mind that reusing content that already contains a
wiki.page call can result in slower performance when loading the new page. We recommend avoiding reusing content more than twice.
Additional parameters can be added to the
wiki.page call to further refine the call.
So you are reusing sections, but your section titles don't display. Review our documentation on how to display titles of reused sections.