Why add page summaries?
Page summaries are an important part of a user's search and navigation experience. The text of a page summary is displayed in both MindTouch and Google search results, and explains what the article is about to help users find what they are looking for. Page summaries are limited to 500 characters.
Why add thumbnails?
A page thumbnail is an image you can add to any article that will be leveraged in two different instances. They are displayed for your categories and guides and on search results pages to help users quickly filter by the appropriate category or guide.
Migrating old overviews to the new editor
Your MindTouch dashboard has a Page summary migration section that helps identify pages containing old overviews that need to be updated to the newer page summary format. Find the page summary migration tool by clicking Site tools on the MindTouch toolbar and then selecting Dashboard.
Add thumbnails and page summaries to a new page
- When you create a new page, hover over the Add page summary text box and click the Edit (pencil) icon.
- Add your summary, then click Save to display the summary wherever the article is referenced.
Display a page summary on a page
If you want to display the page summary somewhere on your page, follow these steps:
1. Select DekiScript from the Styles drop-down menu.
- Type the following call into the DekiScript block:
Click the view source icon at the end of the code block for easy copying and pasting of code:
- Press Shift + Enter to exit the DekiScript block.
- Continue editing your page as applicable.
- Click Save in the editor toolbar.
Updating a thumbnail
- Hover over the thumbnail and select the edit icon.
- After you click the edit icon you will see an attachment dialog appear.
- Either select the browse option to find the image file you would like to attach or drag and drop the image file onto the dialog and the image will be uploaded. The image's full size will display in the page settings editor but will be resized when viewed on pages or in MindTouch Search.
- Don't like the image? Hover over it and click the X to remove it from the page.
Resizing an image
Resizing an image are extremely quick and simple whether you have a Mac or PC, follow these instructions:
Learn more about using page summaries for effective search and navigation.