KCS Practice 8: Leadership and Communication
- Applies to:
- All MindTouch Versions
- Role required:
KCS Practice 8 Techniques
KCS benefits must strategically align with high-level organizational goals and a shared vision.
Technique 8.1: Develop and Communicate a Vision
There must be agreement and common understanding of the vision at all levels of the organization. Although a well-crafted vision varies across organizations, effective company visions have 4 common elements:
- Purpose - a simple value proposition
- Mission statement - approach to achieving the purpose
- Values - expected behavior to achieve the purpose
- Brand promise - attributes of company relationship with customers
Technique 8.2: Create a Strategic Framework
A strategic framework can be developed in a short amount of time but serves an important purpose to help form a communication plan gain executive support.
Technique 8.3: KCS Benefits and ROI
KCS benefits the customer, the employees, and the business differently:
- Direct - near term operational improvements (3-9 months)
- Applied - new service and support opportunities (6-18 months)
- Leveraged - value-added support services (12-30 months)
Technique 8.4: Promote Teamwork
Team behavior drives KCS value. Encourage a team culture of collaboration and collective ownership.
Technique 8.5: Tap into Internal Motivators
Research shows that the top motivation factors are:
- The work itself
Technique 8.6: Recognition Programs
Recognition is more motivating than rewards. An organization needs to place high value on KCS contributions to give validity to KCS recognition efforts.
Technique 8.7: Communication is the Key
An effective KCS communication plan is essentially an internal marketing plan, which should include:
- Target Audiences
- Key Messages
- What's In It For Me? (WIIFM)
- KCS FAQ
- Overcoming Objections
- Elevator Pitch
- Delivery Vehicles
- Programs and Activities for Engagement and Socialization
Technique 8.8: Leadership Accountability to the Knowledge Worker
Effective leaders own everything in their domain. Key KCS leadership competencies include:
- Strategic agility
- Innovation leadership
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Motivating others
- Customer focus
Technique 8.9: Leadership and Communication Indicators
Effective KCS leadership can be evaluated by:
- Communication Effectiveness Indicators - assess buy-in and understanding across the organization
- Organizational Value Indicators - operational efficiency, self-service success, business improvements
MindTouch Capabilities for KCS Practice 8
MindTouch Professional Services expertise include KCS Strategic Program Consulting, Strategic Framework guidance, and KPI Alignment to Organization Goals.
From the Consortium for Service Innovation: Read more about Practice 8 in the KCS v6 Practices Guide.
KCS® is a service mark of the Consortium for Service Innovation™.