This article describes how to create and configure a search tool to embed into your web properties and applications.
- Administrative access to the control panel of your MindTouch site
- Touchpoints enabled on your site
- Site configured for HTTPS over SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
- Contextual help configured on your domain
How to create your search tool
Perform the following steps to create and configure your search tool:
Step 1: Access the Touchpoint toolbox
- From the MindTouch toolbar, select Site tools > Control panel.
- Navigate to System Settings > Integrations >Touchpoint Toolbox > Search.
- Review the search configuration fields:
Step 2: Configure the search tool
Enter your configuration information:
- Name. Unique name to easily identify the search tool.
- Host. Host name or domain where the search tool will be embedded. (You may use comma separated host names and wildcards.)
If you want to apply a Touchpoint tool throughout your site and all subdomains, do NOT enter
www.<yourdomain>.com. Instead, enter
- Search location. The page URL of the MindTouch hierarchy you want your users to search. (By default the home page is designated as the starting point for search).
- Input hint. The text displayed in the search bar field (by default "Search").
- Select whether you want to open the search results page in a new browser window.
Step 3: Create the search tool
Click Add this Touchpoint tool.
Step 4: Copy your embed code
When prompted, click Copy code to clipboard to copy the embed code of your search tool.
To review your search tool configuration or to copy the embed code later, navigate to System Settings > Integrations > Touchpoint Toolbox > Currently enabled Touchpoint tools.
Step 5: Embed your search tool
To embed the search tool into your web page or application, follow the steps outlined in our article on how to embed search tools.