To enhance the content of your site, you may want to embed images in your pages or attach other files for reference. MindTouch makes attaching files to articles easy. The Attachments table at the bottom of MindTouch articles (topics, how-tos and references) is accessible to pro members only. The Attachments table is not displayed on category or guide pages.
To exclude files from search results, we do not recommend attaching files to individual pages. Instead, we recommend setting up a media repository from where to manage files. On the other hand, if you do need files to be searchable for your community members and anonymous users (Attachments tables are not visible to either), attaching files directly to the individual pages is your better option.
Attach files to a page
Maximum file size per attachment is 256 MB.
Files can either be embedded into a MindTouch article (in the case of an image) or can be inserted as a link (in case of non-image files). You can attach files in two ways:
(1) Drag and drop — Simply drag a file onto the MindTouch page to attach it. If you are in Edit mode and the file is an image, it will be embedded and attached in one action. If you are in Edit mode and the file is not an image, a link is added to the page.
(2) Attach a file — Click Attach a File in the Attachments table and navigate to the file on your computer you want to attach. Once attached, the file will appear in the File listing.
Moving files to the media repository
If you have a media repository set up, but have files and images attached to pages and now want to move them to your repository, follow these steps:
- Locate the image in the Attachments table on your page.
- Click the Move/Rename File icon.
- Navigate to your media repository.
- Click Move file.
View previous versions of a file
If the Last Modified date is a link, click it to view the previous versions of that file:
Searchable file types
MindTouch indexes the content of the following file types (as long as the file is smaller than 5 MB):
- .pdf – Adobe PDFs
- .doc – older MS Word docs
- .docx – newer MS Word docs
- .pptx – newer MS PowerPoint presentations
- .xls – older MS Excel spreadsheets
- .xlsx – newer MS Excel spreadsheets
- .odt – OpenDocument Text
- .odp – OpenDocument Presentation
- .txt – plain text
- .rtf – rich text format files
Although the content of files larger than 5 MB is not indexed, the file names and descriptions still are.
Unsupported file types
The following file extensions are by default not supported attachments because of security restrictions: