The techniques for KCS® Practice 5 maximize the opportunity of each interaction to realize the full value of collected knowledge.
Technique 5.1: KCS Article Structure
- KCS Method: The structure for KCS articles should be well-defined and simple. The structure should evolve based on experience, allow for consistent metadata, and enable clear navigation and content organization.
- MindTouch Capability: Capture Manager and Capture Manager for Service Cloud use customizable page templates to capture content. Classifications and tags are stored on each page as structured metadata. KCS articles published in your MindTouch site follow Guided Content Framework to promote user-friendly navigation and organization.
Technique 5.2: KCS Article State
- KCS Method: KCS articles use three article states to determine lifecycle and manage who can publish or see the article - confidence, audience (formerly called visibility), and governance.
- MindTouch Capability: Capture Manager and Capture Manager for Service Cloud includes on-page controls for article confidence, visibility, and governance that automatically connect to group and page permissions.
Technique 5.3: Developing a Content Standard
Technique 5.4: Creating Evolve Loop Articles
- KCS Method: Evaluate reuse patters to create additional content such as resolution paths and find knowledge gaps. Ensure findability through both search and browse methods. Identify opportunities for operational or product improvement.
- MindTouch Capability: Create MindTouch Paths to organize content for troubleshooting or micro-learning scenarios. Default navigation features automatically lead users to linked content based on hierarchy organization. Use the Capture Manager Report to find reuse data to analyze for improvements.
Technique 5.5: Archiving Old Articles
Technique 5.6: Dealing With Legacy Data
- KCS Method: Only migrate content that has value
- MindTouch Capability: MindTouch can convert and import content in a way that aligns expectations and mitigates risk - Importing content from legacy systems
Technique 5.7: Priming the Knowledge Base With New Information
Technique 5.8: Global Support Considerations
- KCS Method: Operate in global, multi-lingual environments
- MindTouch Capability: MindTouch enables both localization and translation - Translate your site.
Technique 5.9: Knowledge Domain Analysis
- KCS Method: Measure and encourage self-service use
- MindTouch Capability: Use the Capture Manager Report to analyze knowledge worker participation and reuse patterns
Technique 5.10: Content Health Indicators
- KCS Method: Article Quality Index (AQI), Asses article value
- MindTouch Capability: MindTouch automatically monitors some recommended AQI values, including:
- Valid links - Resolve link issues with the link manager
- Content architecture - Improve content architecture with the site structure report
- Community Scoring - Users can rate articles and leave feedback
- Capture Manager Report to analyze knowledge worker participation and reuse patterns
Technique 5.11: Self-Service Success
- KCS Method: Ensure findability, completeness, access, navigation, and marketing for your self-service experience.
- MindTouch Capability: MindTouch site experience is built from your site structure using the Guided Content Framework, making content findable. Default navigation and Recommended article encourage further content consumption and eliminate dead-ends.
Technique 5.12: Self-Service Measures
- KCS Method: Reporting through ticketing system
- MindTouch Capability: The Capture Manager Report records knowledge worker participation and reuse patterns.
From the Consortium for Service Innovation: Read more about Practice 5 in the KCS v6 Practices Guide.
KCS® is a service mark of the Consortium for Service Innovation™.