Effective content advances your customer success efforts. When it comes to finding information, customers measure their experience by how quickly and effectively the site delivers relevant and useful answers. KCS promotes creating content as a byproduct of solving problems.
How to implement KCS
KCS is a methodology that is enabled by technology. MindTouch is a KCS v6 Verified tool, which means the MindTouch platform provides comprehensive functionality that enables all eight KCS practices.
Produce high-quality content
The 80/20 rule - 80% of inquiries can be answered by 20% of content. Use the MindTouch community scoring report and Google Analytics to identify your 20%, then promote individual articles using social media and customer outreach. Encourage customer feedback on your 20% to enable continual improvement. Use customer feedback, such as search and page feedback, to engage customers and gain insight.
Rich content - The key to delivering a high-quality experience is to develop relevant content that is focused, legible and structured for handling the most common questions. Use MindTouch templates to standardize your content layout for consistency and thoroughness. Create consistent and high-quality content by creating your own quality content criteria.
Search recommendations - Add MindTouch search recommendations to drive users to the top 20% of your content. Create search recommendations for synonyms, legacy terms and unwanted terms to direct users to the latest terminology. Use the MindTouch search report to identify top used search terms on your MindTouch site. Create search recommendations for terms that don't have a top clicked result or have an undesired top clicked result.
Metadata - Enrich your content with metadata to create contextually relevant relationships, boost search terms, and provide content definition. Add tags and classifications to you MindTouch articles. Tags are used to contextually generate the related articles and classifications are used for customer and agent search.
Add a page summary to each MindTouch article. The summary is used in the search results and all content structure interfaces.
Enrich your content
Create your content using the MindTouch framework and leverage metadata to build rich content relationships.
- Evolve content based on demand and usage. Identify, promote and capture feedback on your top 20% of content. Use feedback to evolve content. Make sure you MindTouch feedback email is sending to a group email or CRM queue where writers can be assigned to advance your content based on the customer or agent feedback.
- Develop content as a collective experience. Train your writers, agents and subject matter experts to use MindTouch. Distribute MindTouch self-service training videos to your content stakeholders or contact your account manager to inquire about instructor-led training seminars.
- Reward collaboration and sharing. Recognize and thank your contributors directly through email and through your social channels.
Add a section for new content to your customer newsletter. List the new content articles with a link to the article and the name of the author.
Enable search and browse navigation
The most common content navigation methods are search and browse. Enabling one over the other can make users uncomfortable with finding your content. Typically, new users rely on search because they are unacquainted with your site structure. Advanced users tend to browse for content once they are familiar with your content organization and naming conventions.
Once you have successfully provided a browse and search navigation, you can consider other forms of navigation, such as persona browsing or personalized navigation.
Customize your site branding to emphasize the search and browse navigation.
Provide an escalation method
Your content, just like any system at your company, needs to be tuned over time. When your content is not working well, it is crucial to find out how to improve it.
If customers cannot find what they are looking for, they expect a channel to escalate their inquiry. These channels can include rating, submitting a ticket, and chat. Providing an escalation channel gives your users a way to escalate their issue while providing you an opportunity to capture feedback and engage.
- Rating - Configure your MindTouch feedback email to send to a group email or CRM queue where writers can be assigned to advance your content based on the customer or agent feedback.
- Ticketing - Use your CRM or case management tool to generate a web form that you can add to MindTouch.
- Chat - Add your chat client to your MindTouch header or footer.
Feedback is the key to improving your content—embrace feedback and engage customers as much as possible. Feedback requires structure and and planning. Ask just enough questions to get the right information to evolve your content.
Add content questions to your surveys and your ticket forms and train your agents to ask customers about their content experience. In some cases, your customers may not even know you have content available, and asking is a way to convert them to self-help users.
Optimize for search engines
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) requires rich content that is crafted for the best user experience.
For you your customers to benefit most from your content, enable your MindTouch content to be publicly accessible. This means that your average internet user (non-authenticated) can use a search engine and find your content. Your public content improves your impact on adoption and reach, allowing you to:
- Identify trends in content usage
- Gain widespread adoption of best practices across your internal and external stakeholders
- Drive traffic from related properties
- Align prospective buyers, customers, partners, and colleagues