By default, MindTouch has four Conditional Text types accessible via the the editor: Pro Member, Community Member, Anonymous user, and Group. These conditional content types only display text to users that belong to the specified subset of users. You can also create custom conditional text blocks for specific groups.
Add conditional content to a page
- Open a page in Edit mode and place the courser where you want conditional content, or highlight content that you want to be conditional.
- From the Editor toolbar, select Style and choose one of the conditional text options:
- Conditional text (anonymous only)
- Conditional text (community member only)
- Conditional text (pro member only)
- Conditional text (group only)
- The conditional content container appears and is an editable field.
- If you select Conditional Text (group only), click None in the conditional block header to trigger the drop-down menu for Select a group, and select your desired group name. To change the target group, click the group name in the the conditional block header to trigger the drop-down menu and change the selection.
- Click Save.
Change or remove conditional content
Conditional content containers function as a toggle. To change the target subset of users, highlight the the text and select a different conditional content type from the Style menu. To remove conditional content, highlight the text and re-select the active conditional content type.
How search engines handle conditional content
Search engines (including the MindTouch search engine) can only find content that is publicly available. Content you include as conditional for Community Members, Pro Members or Group users who must log in to see it, will not be visible to search engines.
Examples for conditional content
Use conditional content whenever you need to control who sees what information on a page:
- Internal users need access to proprietary information on a page.
- Technical notes should only be seen by your support team.
- Editors need to "hide" information until it is vetted.