Copy and overwrite a page (MT4)
- Applies to:
- MindTouch 4 (legacy)
- Role required:
With MindTouch you can create a copy of a single page or multiple, edit them, then overwrite the original pages. You can also create pages with the same title then use "Copy and Overwrite" to replace an existing page.
Laws of Copy and Overwrite
- When initially trying to copy a page you must select the checkbox next to "Overwrite existing pages" in order to overwrite the page.
- First you must have two pages with the same URL. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to have the same title, for example:
- I have a page titled "Knowledge Base" with the URL of mysite.mindtouch.us/01_Knowledge_Base and I want to overwrite it with the page titled "Knowledge is Power" with the URL of mysite.mindtouch.us/Integration/01_Knowledge_Base the page will overwrite it and change the title.
- All attachments will be merged
- attachments on the destination not present on the source will not be deleted.
- attachments with the same name between source and destination will be updated with a new revision (if the source version is different)
- All properties will be merged
- applies to both page and attachment properties
- properties on the destination not present on the source will not be deleted.
- properties with the same name between source and destination will be updated
- Custom tags will also be merged, existing custom tags will not be deleted.
- If you do not have permissions to edit a page, it will remain unaffected if you try to overwrite it, for example:
- We have pages with the path /A/B/C , you have permission to edit page B but no permission to edit page C. You navigate to page B with the path /X/B/C. You attempt to Copy and Overwrite page B and it's child page C to the pages with the path /A/B/C. Page B will be overwritten but page C will remain the same because you do not have permission to edit that page.
- The ability to copy and overwrite boils down to three permissions handled:
- READ: In order to copy any pages a pro member must have the ability to read/view a page.
- CREATE and UPDATE: In order to overwrite and existing page you must be able to update/edit the page. If the page doesn't exist you must have the a ability to create at the destination.
How Permissions Are Handled
Permissions are handled the same way it is when copying pages, it will inherit the permissions of it's parent. For instance, if you have the following structure:
If you copy "/Parent/Page_1" under "/Parent_2", the new "/Parent_2/Page_1" page will inherit the existing permissions of "/Parent_2":
- /Parent_2/Page_1 (this page will inherit the permissions of "/Parent_2")