Manually redirect a page
- Applies to:
- All MindTouch Versions
- Role required:
- Draft Contributor
Although MindTouch automatically creates page redirects in most cases, there may be times when you need to create a manual redirect. For example, if you want to send visitors to a central page for deprecated content or if a dated external URL that was not set up as a Content ID is sending traffic to a 404 page on your site.
Add a manual redirect
Edit your outdated page
- Navigate to the outdated page.
- Open the page in Edit mode.
You must edit the page as a Live page. Redirecting is NOT supported in Draft pages.
- From the editor toolbar, select View > Source.
- Delete all existing content or code on the page.
- Copy the following code into the page.
path/to/pagein the above code with the path of the page to redirect to. The path is the part of the URL after your domain (e.g. https://www.example.com/Advanced-content/ Videos). Make sure to include the double brackets.
Redirects can only be set to another page on your MindTouch site. External redirects outside your MindTouch site are not supported.
- If the URL contains encoded characters, the redirect snippet URL specials characters must be changed to decoded format.
- Do not change to the WYSIWYG view before saving or the redirect will NOT work.
- Click Save.
What if the outdated page no longer exists?
If you have deleted an outdated page, the page may show up as a 404 (a page not found) in Google. If you are getting substantial traffic to a non-existing page, restore the deleted page or recreate the page with the same title in the same location.
- Does your destination path contain punctuation or special symbols? If so, you can use a URL Decoder tool to resolve any special punctuation in the URL.
- Did you exit Source view before saving? Repeat the redirect steps and make sure to save before.
- Is your path surrounded by double brackets? If not, make sure to add them back in.
It is not possible to manually redirect a page to a Path.
Remove a manual redirect from a page?
When you add a redirect to a page, MindTouch treats the page as deleted. To remove a manual redirect, follow steps to restore the deleted page and then modify as needed.