This feature allows your Community Members the ability to export a PDF of an entire page, multiple pages, or the entire site.
With this feature, a user can quickly download an exported PDF of the content on one or multiple pages of a MindTouch site.
The Save as PDF feature allows a single MindTouch page to be generated as a PDF document in just one click. This document can be saved locally on a hard drive, uploaded to a web server and enabled on the web page as a digital download, or printed for use as instructional or reference material.
The QR code that is generated within the PDF document for each page can be scanned by any internet-enabled mobile phone to have it automatically resolve to the URL of the originating MindTouch page, as illustrated below:
The Book Editor feature allows multiple MindTouch pages to be assembled into a sequence to be exported as a PDF document containing all of the selected pages in the order specified while creating the book. The user selects the appropriate pages from a navigation tree interface and then orders the pages using standard drag commands. Based on the selected content and page order specified by the user, MindTouch generates a URL to the PDF document containing the requested structure. This document can be saved locally for further use.
NOTE: There is a 50 page limit when using the Book Editor feature to save content as a PDF.
What are the benefits of this feature?
Saving content as a PDF provides portability and reliability for MindTouch content. The user can benefit from this feature in the following ways:
- Create hard copies of MindTouch internet resources, which can be distributed to computers and devices without internet access
- Create backup documents for local access when internet service is unavailable
- Print copies for distribution as instructional or reference material
- Generate QR codes to enable instant availability to content for mobile phones with internet access
NOTE: Any images that are bitmap (.bmp) will not render in a PDF.
When to use this feature?
Use this feature when you want to create local files of MindTouch pages, back up documentation, print copies for distribution, and enable instant mobile access to resources.
How to use this feature?
To learn how to use this feature, click the appropriate link below:
To use the Save as PDF feature, perform the following steps:
- From the MindTouch article page, on the Page Options bar, in the More menu, click Save as PDF.
- From the Exporting page: Comments dialog box, click Click here to download the exported PDF.
Note: The maximum number of pages that can be combined into a single PDF is 50.
To use the Book Editor feature, perform the following steps:
- From any MindTouch article page on the Page Options bar in the More menu, click Save as PDF.
- From the Exporting page: Comments dialog box, click Click here to create a book containing this page.
Note: The Book Editor opens in a new tab/window.
From the Book Editor, under Browse for Pages, click to expand the folder structure to locate the pages you want to export as a PDF document. To add a page to the PDF document, click to select the appropriate page, and then click Add Page. To add a top-level page and its sub-pages, click to select the appropriate top-level page, and then click Add Tree.
Top-level pages are indicated by a Folder icon.
- Under Current Book, perform any of the following actions:
- To include the MindTouch table of contents for pages in the PDF document, click to select Include table of contents.
- To view the PDF document as it is currently structured in a new tab/window, click View Book.
- To hide the Browse for Pages section of the Book Editor, click Hide Page Tree.
- To delete all of the pages of the PDF document, click Delete All Pages.
- To delete one page of the PDF document, click the red Close (X) icon next to the title of the page to be deleted.
- To reorder pages in the PDF document, drag the Page Title box for a page to the desired position in the list.
- To view the MindTouch page for a page of the PDF document in a new tab/window, click the link to the page.
A PDF book can contain up to 50 MindTouch articles. If more than 50 articles are added to a book, only the first 50 will be rendered within the PDF book. Note that this limit is relative to the amount of content within each MindTouch article. If the articles within your book each contain over 3 PDF pages of content, the system may be unable to render the entire book.
User Guides and Knowledge Bases
User Guide Navigation and Table of Contents
The table of contents and previous/next functionalities which are surfaced within user guide pages are not rendered within PDF output.
Wide Table Output
Some wider tables may stretch past the page width when saving a topic as a PDF. While this is commonly handled within the standard page view of the MindTouch user interface by using the CSS "word-wrap" property, this property is not supported within PDF CSS.