A community is made up of a group of users, so naturally before you can begin creating your MindTouch community you will want to add your users.
In this session we will step you through the process of creating users, passwords, activating accounts and defining roles. All your users can be added either on an individual basis or you can add multiple users at one time. Let's get started adding users.
Adding a new user
Within the Control Panel, from the Navigation Bar select Users and then click on the Add User button. Here you will create your new user.
Create Usernames, emails and passwords
- First, choose a unique username to identify your user. We recommend that you do not include spaces in your usernames so that the search function will work properly.
- Include an optional display name. This will be used for display purposes in lieu of their username throughout MindTouch (e.g., a username could be "JohnD", while their display name could be "John Doe"). For readability, a display name (if set) will be shown within various skin elements like the top of the page next to site tools, page history, etc. See below for an example from the top of the page:
- Include the user's email address. This will be used for automatic correspondence and notifications.
- Assign a password to the account; this will need to be typed in twice. If you'd prefer to have a system-generated password assigned, leave the password fields blank.
Note: Make sure the password has the following requirements:
- The password must be at least 8 characters in length
- The password must contain at least 2 of the following characters: lowercase, uppercase, digits or symbols
- The user can be a Community Member or a Pro Member. A Community Member cannot contribute to your documentation.
- Choose the level of contribution if you're adding a Pro Member (see below for more information).
- Click add user and you're done!
If your user is a Pro Member you will need to assign them a level of Contribution. There are three different levels of contribution. How you assign each one will depend on how much control your users require.
These roles are defined as:
Viewer - LOGIN, BROWSE, READ, SUBSCRIBE (Not Create)
Author - LOGIN, BROWSE, READ, SUBSCRIBE, UPDATE, CREATE
Editor - LOGIN, BROWSE, READ, SUBSCRIBE, UPDATE, CREATE, DELETE, CHANGE PERMISSIONS
Admin - TOTAL SITE WIDE AUTHORITY, UNRESTRICTED ACCESS
Once you've submitted your users information via the Add User button, your user will receive a confirmation email. This will contain a link back to MindTouch, their username and password for access. Remember, the users email address will be used for all communications from MindTouch, so remind your users to whitelist MindTouch. If your user wants to reset their password, have them select the forgot password icon at login.
Adding multiple users
Looking to add several users all at once? This is possible through the "Add Multiple Users" option. Note that by default these users will be added as Community Members, but can be changed by selecting Pro Member.
To add multiple users, first click on the Add Multiple Users button on the User Management page.
- Within this panel add a new username and email address separated by a comma (do not place comma after email address)
- Add the next user on the line below and so on until you have entered all the users you wish to add with that membership level.
- Specify the Seat Management, Authentication and Group (if required)
- Click on the Add Multiple Users button and you're done!
Last Logged in and Created on
When viewing the Users in your control panel you will be able to see when the user last logged in and when that user was created.
You can also see the activity of that user.
The activity history will display all pages that the user has viewed and what the terms the user has used. This tool will help you understand how particular users are searching. Unlike the Search Terms in the reports section, this details what terms the user is using. To read more about popular search terms.
Now that you've created users, assigned passwords, assigned contribution levels and formed groups, your community is ready to take off.