When adding videos to your pages, MindTouch allows you to conveniently search YouTube videos right from your editor. Enabling this function requires obtaining an API key from the Google Developers Console and storing the API key in the MindTouch control panel.
Reasons to set up your own API key
There are two reasons to set up your API key:
- You have a custom domain, i.e. your URL does not have "mindtouch.us" appended to it.
- You do not have a custom domain (a less likely scenario) but want to use your own API key to take advantage of YouTube analytics data and want to have a larger preset limit of YouTube requests a day.
Log in to the Google Developers Console
- Log in to or create a Google account.
- Navigate to http://code.google.com/apis/console.
- Click Enable and manage APIs.
- In the New project dialog, enter your project name, accept the terms of service and click Create.
- Under YouTube APIs, select YouTube Data API.
- Click Enable.
Create your credentials and API key
- Click the Go to credentials button.
- Click the API key link in the Credentials dialog.
- Select Browser key.
- Add a browser key name, optionally add referrers and click Create.
- Copy the API key.
Add the API key to your editor settings
- Navigate to Site tools > Control panel > Settings > Editor.
- Paste the API key into the YouTube API Key field and click Save.