This article outlines the importance of enabling users to rate your pages and leave feedback.
All users (anonymous or logged in) can rate articles, but only logged in users can leave feedback. Feedback is only enabled for logged in users to prohibit spam bots from hitting your documentation and leaving inaccurate feedback.
Why should I encourage users to rate articles and leave feedback?
Encourage your users to rate articles and leave feedback to improve the quality of your documentation and user experience:
- Article rating provides insight into how helpful your articles are to your community on a global level.
- Positive ratings (smiley faces) boost articles in search results and are so more easily accessible to future users.
- Negative ratings (frowny faces) suggest that an article isn't particularly helpful to users allowing you to modify or update the article to improve usability.
- Article feedback increases the dialog between your company and your users. Allowing users to contribute via feedback makes users feel more invested in your product.
How customers can rate your articles
To rate an article, users click either Yes (smiley face) or No (frowny face) to let you know whether an article was helpful or not. While anonymous users can only rate pages, logged in users also have the opportunity to leave detailed feedback (see section below).
MindTouch captures the date when users rate a page so that users can later review and change their ratings once an article is updated.
Administrators can enable/disable ratings for your anonymous users via the control panel configurations.
How customers can leave feedback
To leave feedback, users can either rate the page (the feedback form at the bottom of a page expands) or by simply click the Leave Feedback link. Users can also opt in to be contacted regarding their feedback.
How to set up your default feedback email
To set up your email address for article feedback, perform the following steps:
- From the MindTouch toolbar, select Site tools > Control panel.
- Click Configuration under System Settings.
- Enter your Email Address for User Feedback and click Save.
Learn how to add a feedback form to your custom articles.