When you're responsible for rolling out MindTouch at your organization, it's crucial that you understand how to create content that advances your customer success efforts. Your MindTouch site is the first stop for your customers, so it's important to create content that delivers value to your customers and you. This article is most valuable for content managers and project champions.
What is KCSsm (1) methodology?
The KCS methodology (Knowledge-Centered Services) is a standard in the support world for capturing, structuring, and reusing your MindTouch help content. The KCS methodology focuses on using help content to inform, align and educate all of your support stakeholders, including customer support agents, writers and even subject matter experts. Providing a consistent and maintained single source of content to all these stakeholders drives customer success and reduces support cost.
How do I create content that leverages KCS?
Produce high quality content
When it comes to finding information, customers measure their experience by how quickly and effectively the site delivers relevant and useful answers.
How quickly can users find content?
- Search Recommendations – Add MindTouch search recommendations to drive users to the top 20% of your content. Create search recommendations for synonyms, legacy terms and unwanted terms to direct users to the latest terminology.
- Meta Data - Enrich your content with metadata to create contextually relevant relationships, boost search terms, and provide content definition.
How? Add tags and classifications to you MindTouch articles. Tags are used to contextually generate the related articles and classifications are used for customer and agent search.
How effective is your content?
- The 80/20 Rule – 80% of inquiries can be answered by 20% of content. Use the MindTouch community scoring report and Google Analytics to identify your 20%.
How? Identify your 20% and then promote individual articles using social media (blog, Twitter, LinkedIn) and customer outreach. Encourage customer feedback on your 20% to enable continual improvement. Use customer feedback, such as search and page feedback, to engage customers and gain insight.
- Rich Content – The key to delivering a high-quality experience is to develop relevant content that is focused, legible and structured for handling the most common questions.
How? Use MindTouch templates to standardize your content layout for consistency and thoroughness.
Enrich your content
- Evolve content based on demand and usage – Identify, promote and capture feedback on your top 20% of content. Use feedback to evolve content.
How? Make sure you MindTouch feedback email is sending to a group email or CRM queue where writers can be assigned to advance your content based on the customer or agent feedback.
- Develop content as a collective experience – Train your writers, agents and subject matter experts to use MindTouch.
How? Distribute MindTouch self-service training videos to your content stakeholders or contact your account manager to inquire about instructor-led training seminars.
- Reward collaboration, sharing and improving content – Recognize and thank your contributors directly through email and through your social channels.
Enable both search and browse navigation
The most commonly used mechanisms for interfacing content are browse and search. Predominantly utilizing one over the other can drive users to a navigation interface that they are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with. Typically, new users to your site rely on search because they are unacquainted with the structure. Advanced users tend to browse content for expediency given their familiarity with structure and naming conventions.
Your site should provide both forms of navigation, and they should be easy to access and noticeable. Once you have successfully provided a browse and search navigation, you can consider additional forms of navigation, such as persona browsing or personalized navigation.
How? Customize your site branding to emphasize the search and browse navigation.
Provide an escalation interface
Your content is just like any other system at your company: it may not work initially and needs to be tuned over time. When your content is not working well, it is absolutely crucial to find out what is going wrong. Feedback is the key to improving your content—embrace feedback and engage customers as much as possible.
If customers can't find what they are looking for, they will expect a channel to escalate their inquiry. Most commonly, these channels include rating, submitting a ticket and chat. Providing an escalation channel gives your users a way to escalate their inquiries while providing you with an opportunity to capture feedback and engage.
- Rating – Configure your MindTouch feedback email to send to a group email or CRM queue where writers can be assigned to advance your content based on the customer or agent feedback.
- Ticketing – Use your CRM or case management tool to generate a web form (HTML) which you can add to MindTouch.
How do I capture feedback?
Capturing feedback is not just a matter of asking people for their input. Feedback requires structure and intent; it requires forethought and planning. You need to make sure you don't ask too many questions and that the questions you do ask will get answers that will help you evolve your content.
You should add content questions to your surveys and your ticket creation forms. You should also train your agents to ask customers about their content experience. In some cases, your customers won't even know you have content available. Simply asking them if they know about your MindTouch site can convert them to self-help users.
Optimize for search engines (SEO)
If you want to allow your content to truly prosper, you must have your MindTouch content publicly accessible. This means that your average internet user (non-authenticated) can use a search engine and end up on one of your content articles. Simply having your content available to the public will have an immense impact on adoption and reach, allowing you to:
- Identify trends in content usage
- Gain widespread adoption of best practices across your internal and external stakeholders
- Drive traffic from related properties
- Align prospective buyers, customers, partners and colleagues
For more information on SEO best practices refer to these articles:
How do I make my MindTouch content more SEO friendly?
It is easy to create rich content that is optimized for search engines, but you need to make sure all of your content creators are capable and committed to creating valuable content:
- Train your writers, agents and subject matter experts to use MindTouch
- Create content that is rich, contextually relevant and unique
- Add hyperlinks to other content
- Add images/diagrams to support the topic you're documenting
- Add tags to boost search terms and create related articles
- Add classifications to enable faceted search
(1) KCSsm is a service mark of the Consortium for Service Innovation. ↵