- MindTouch GeniusLink for Salesforce installed (instructions).
- User with permission to create reports in Salesforce.
- Cases with linked articles to verify reports are working.
Understanding the data model
MindTouch stores information as custom objects in Salesforce.
- Cases are a standard Salesforce object.
- MindTouch Articles are a custom object installed by the MindTouch GeniusLink for Salesforce package. They store information such as the article title and URL. If a new article is published from a case, the Parent_Case field shows the case that generated the article. If an existing article is simply linked to a case, the Parent_Case will be empty.
- MindTouch Related Articles is a many-to-many relationship between cases and MindTouch articles (one case can have many articles, and one article can be linked to many cases).
When creating a report, your primary object might be the case (to find all its associated articles), a MindTouch article (to find all its associated cases), or even a user (to find the MindTouch related articles they have created).
For this how-to, we'll create a report showing each case and its number of MindTouch related articles.
Creating the report
- In Service Cloud, click the drop-down menu to access the Reports tab, and click New Report.
- All MindTouch reports are in the "Customer Support Reports" section. Because we want to focus on Cases, select Cases and MindTouch Related Articles.
- You are now in the report editor. Make sure the report has the data range you need (this quarter, all time, etc.), and select the Summary view:
- We want to group first by Case Number, then the Related Articles underneath. Drag Case Number into the summary table as the primary field, with MindTouch Related Article ID underneath. If the groups get put in the wrong order, click the drop-down menu and select Move group up.
- Click Run Report to verify the data is correct. We suggest sorting by Record Count, descending:
- If this report looks correct, click Save As and give the report a name, such as "Cases - Number of Articles."
Add the report to a dashboard
- Under the Reports tab, click New Dashboard to open the dashboard editor. From the left pane, drag the report ("Cases - Number of Articles") into the Dashboard as a data source.
- Switch over to the Components tab and drag the horizontal bar chart onto the data source.
- The report will populate the data. Click the wrench icon to change the settings to sort by Value, descending.
- Save your dashboard and give it a name. You can now run the dashboard to see the results:
That's it! Experiment with other report types:
- Group by User, then number of MindTouch Related Articles (to see usage by agent)
- Group by MindTouch Related Articles, then number of Cases (to see the most popular article)
- Use formula fields to have reports on various KCS metrics being tracked
Example: Article Creation Report
MindTouch GeniusLink for Salesforce allows you to create new articles from within the widget. Similar to the above, a report can be made to measure this activity:
Cases that created articles
- Create a tabular report.
- Group by MindTouch Article: Parent_Case.
- Next, drag in the field you'd like to see, such as MindTouch Article: Title.
- Add a filter to hide MindTouch Articles without a Parent_Case.
MindTouch Articles Created by User
- Create a tabular report.
- First, group by MindTouch Article: Created By: Full Name.
- Next, add a filter to hide articles where the Parent Case: Case Number is not empty.
Once these reports are added, they can be added as data sources in your dashboard. Create two bar charts, and drag in the data sources above: