Merely deleting a custom classification from the control panel does not remove custom classification data applied to pages on your MindTouch site. This article provides instructions for deleting custom classifications and properly removing residual data.
Why should I remove residual data after deleting a custom classification?
After deleting a custom classification label or list from the control panel, the residual data, or classification tag, is still affixed to the page. This residual tag can negatively impact features such as search or recommended articles. As a best practice, always delete the labels from the pages as instructed below after deleting a custom classification.
Delete a custom classification
- Navigate to Site tools > Control panel > System Settings > Classifications.
- Delete an individual tag by clicking the x in the tag's row or delete an entire list (remember the associated tags) by clicking the Delete list button.
Before deleting lists, record all associated tags. You will need to know the names of the tags when removing residual data (see below).
Remove residual data from your pages
The removal of residual data can be easily accomplished via the page classification manager:
- Navigate to Site tools > Dashboard > Content management > Page classification manager.
- Enter the deleted tags in the Tags text field.
- Select all pages (click the checkbox on the left in the top row).
- In the Change classification to section at the bottom of the page, enter the deleted tags in the Remove tags text field
- Click Apply changes.
- Confirm to apply changes, and no more residual data!
Learn about the importance of tagging your pages.