MindTouch allows you to ensure site privacy while allowing contributions from external users by restricting external users to access only specific pages or sections. By restricting external contributors you will retain absolute control over your content changes.
Set up your external contributor workflow
- Add your external or internal users as Viewer (if they are allowed to view site content) or None (if you don't want them to see any other content except the one they are to edit or contribute to) in the control panel. At this point they cannot make any changes whatsoever.
- Create a group (or several groups) with Viewer or None permissions.
- Add your external or internal users to that group.
- In the pages or sections you want the external or internal user group(s) to create or edit content, permission that group (via Options > Restrict access) as Author (if users are to work on live pages or drafts) or Draft Contributor (if users are to work on drafts only).
- Have editors and contributors subscribe to pages so that they are notified of changes.
- Create new content as draft or live pages depending on your workflow.
- Encourage editors to use the draft manager (Site tools > Dashboard > Draft manager) to identify drafts across the site and publish as necessary.
- Optionally use custom classifications such as "Edit," "Review," or "Publish" to indicate a page's workflow status and manage pages via the page classification manager.
- Once content is approved and edited, push content live.