Congratulations! You are about to start building your MindTouch site and help your users to be truly successful with your product and service. The very first step in building out your site is to create your top-level navigation. Whether you decide to separate your content by product, language, persona, or any other way you deem fit, your first MindTouch creation will inevitably be a category.
How to create a new category
To create a new category, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Add a new category
- Navigate to the page under which you want to create a new category (may be your home page).
- On your MindTouch toolbar, click New.
- Select the Category template.
- Depending on whether you want to create the page live or as a draft, select either the Create live or Create draft radio button. (You will be able to publish the draft to your live site later.)
- Click Create.
Step 2: Add content to your category
- Title your category.
- Replace text with your content.
Do not remove the DekiScript code at the top of the page or the "Tags recommended by the template: article:topic-category" line at the bottom of the page. Both determine how the category page behaves.
Step 3: Configure the page settings of your category
- Expand Page Settings.
- Hover over the Add page summary field to display the page summary icon .
- Click the icon and enter a page summary.
The page summary is not only the first paragraph that is displayed on your page, it also is the description that is displayed in MindTouch and Google search results, so make sure to include valuable keywords.
- Click Add page thumbnail to add the display icon for your category.
- Choose whether to display your category as Simple or Detailed (decide which option is better for you).
- Make sure that Article type is set to Category.
- If you have not yet set up any custom classifications, set a Stage value to help you later identify articles in certain stages of your workflow.
- Apply appropriate Tags to your article. (You must hit Enter after entering each tag.)
Tags determine which articles MindTouch recommends at the bottom of your page, so keep tags consistent. The more tags related articles have in common, the more likely they will be recommended together.
Step 4: Publish your category page (if a draft)
If you created your page in draft mode and are ready to publish your category to your live site, click Publish.
Your site will likely consist of more than just one category at the top level. To add another top-level category, navigate to your home page and add as many categories as your architecture requires. Once you have created your top-level categories, you have the option to either create another level of categories underneath or to start creating guides in your top-level categories. Please review our article on our recommended content structure to make sure you are creating a seamless search and navigation experience.